Thursday, March 17, 2011

Viva la Gringa!

Back in the c-a-m-p-o. How does it feel? Not so bad. Kinda nice. nearly forgot about how hot and sweaty it is out here. But you know, people are genuinely happy to see me. Like, wow... you went "alla" to the Oosa and you actually wanted to come back here. Amazed, they are... because their family member left to go to the states 25 years ago and they haven't seen them since. It must be that awesome there in the US if they dont come back ever, right!?

Coming back and walking into my house made me feel loved. My host mom had cleaned my house spotless. I always tell her she doesnt need to do anything to my house. It's my house. If I didnt live in a casa aparte I would have to do all this stuff myself. I can't complain. It used to bother me when she was in my house cleaning it. I'm just territorial about my space. But I have to say, I really appreciate it. And I know she does it because she loves me. So thanks Marinita :) You make my life here easier. Even though I'm still thinking about moving... Looking for a place in the centro so I can mingle more. Will keep you posted.

She did, however, insist on me unplugging my refrigerator when I left. I had no prior experience with unplugging refrigerators... so I took all the food out and just unplugged it. I had no idea you should leave it open. I came home, opened my fridge to find it was covered with mold inside. So I spent the first 2-3 hours back in my site cleaning my refri so that all the food I just bought in the pueblo wouldnt go bad. Hope I actually got all the mold out!

So I was thinking tonight... And I guess that I still very much live like an American in the campo.

As I saw Marinita come to my porch to get the freshly laid eggs from the chickens, I started thinking about all that these people do. Their daily routines. They are completely accustomed to keeping themselves busy with tasks that are much more simple to us in the us. We just push buttons and our clothes our clean. We buy our food ready to make at the store. These people fill their entire day with just trying to fulfill their basic needs. Washing plates and clothes in the pila. Washing corn, cooking it, carrying it on their head to grind it to make tortillas. Making tortillas for every meal takes at least a few hours. Taking 2-3 bucket baths a day to stay cool and clean. Sweeping and mopping every day. Feeding all the chickens and cows. They spend almost all their time doing all of these things (that i certainly never take the time to do) And there's so much for them to do they finish the day and they still haven't done everything. Why don't I do all these things? Well I guess I'm just not that assimilated. But they sure do stay busy. Perhaps I should start helping feed the animals.

But I don't have a need to do all that. I don't eat tortillas everyday. They really pack on the pounds. And sometimes I would rather sweat and stink than get myself wet again. I have mopped my floor once in my 5 months in site. I did pay the neighbor $1 to do it a couple times. And there are a number of very American things about me that I am not sure they will ever understand. How I like to be alone for hours at a time, and how I can spend so much time in front of a computer- something completely foreign to the old folks. And the fact that I go to the capital and know it way better than they do.... they hardly ever leave here. Just going to the pueblo is a big outing for them. But that's a matter of money, really. They don't have the money to leave as much. But still, the fact that I can leave and go to places all over the country, and even go visit the states and come back... all of that makes it obvious I am very different.

I don't have to change everything about me. They can think I am strange and different. I try to explain myself sometimes- telling them what I'm doing is normal for an American. That's how we are. Sometimes we need to be alone. They might say "ok" and it possibly helps with them being so offended that I would rather read a book in my house than sit with them and gossip. But I bet they still think I am strange.

Another American thing about me- I do not care about what I look like in the campo! I figure I might as well be comfortable- I dont need to impress anyone! Certainly don't want to make any man attracted to me- the less piropos (cat calls) the better. But that doesnt stop them. I don't get how the Salva women do it. It's hot as hell. I can't stop sweating. I'm dragging myself around the rocky dirt rodes in rolled up pants, a tshirt and flip flops with my hair all tied up in a ball... about as unsexy as you get. And what do I see them walking by in? Tight pants, a flashy almost nice looking shirt with lots of cleavage, hair done, tons of makeup, big earrings, and what!?!..... High heels!!! How do they do it? I almost break my ankles walking on the rocks in my flats. They are unbelievable... sometimes you can add a big fat salvo baby onto the hip of that hot mama.  And they also look like they never sweat. Kudos to you salva women.... I'm not doin' it though.

The new group of volunteers were sworn in today. Man- I can't belive it- it feels like just yesterday that they arrived. 2 months ago! Is that how quickly time is flying!?

Well I'm off to bed with one of the many girly novels I brought back from the states with me :) then it's lots of work to do tomorrow... school and house visits.

P.S. Had pupusas for breakfast AND lunch today! Mmnmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment