Monday, July 26, 2010

Life in the Pueblo

I found out yesterday afternoon where I was going to be living for the rest of my time during training. My group spent a few days receiving training on security, cultural sensitivity and we even had a 2 hour charla (discussion) about diahrrea. Then we found out where we were going and with who. I was assigned to the village that is farthest away from San Vicente, where I have to go once a week for training. It’s about a 30 minute ride. Not too bad. I am here in my pueblo with 4 other volunteers. It was a bummer to have to say goodbye to the other good people in my group- but I guess it’s not too bad- we will still see one another on every tuesday until training is over.

When my group was ready to go to our village, we were accompanied by our teacher to catch the bus, and then she came with each of us to each of our houses to know where the other one lives. We waited a long time and no bus came for Santa Clara- so we had to go for the other option- the pick-up truck. People ride everywhere in these pick-ups. It costs 50 cents to ride, and you stand up the whole time holding on to the bars they built to cage everyone in- don’t want anyone falling out. The pick up wasnt too uncomfortable- despite the fact that my fellow Peace Corps Trainee, Jesse, did a head count of 40 people. That’s a crazy amount of people weighing down that pickup! Crazy!
I love my family- I am so lucky. I think i got the best one. Their house is a little bit nicer (except the bathroom- which is outside) and they are bigger than the others and super nice. I love my family- I couldnt have asked for a better one. My host mom, Mirian, is somewhere around 80 years old. She is the sweetest, cutest little lady and I can hardly understand a word she says. Out here in the pueblo, people’s accents are different and so I have a hard time understanding them. I understand Cecilia (oh “Ceci”) the best- she is my host sister- who is 29, but she’s really doin the part as my mom. She’s the one that helps me get what I need and makes me all of my food. Too much food! I don’t know if I can keep eating like this. Tortillas are starting to come out of my nose and ears i swear, i am being given so many of them. The rest of the family: Elmer- my 24 year old host brother, Joel- older host brother, Joel’s wife Maria, and their kids 12 year old Victor and 2 year old Diego. I love those kids! They are so entertaining to be around. I haven’t been taking too many pictures but I will start soon and def share some pics of my wonderful family.

When I got here on Friday afternoon I spent most of my time visiting with Mirian, my mom. We talked about everything about where I’m from and stuff and when she asked me if I was Christian I just said “yes.” It was easier that way. I was specifically told not to say that I don’t believe in God- because people around here are super religious and if you say something like that you might get kicked out of your home. I even said I would go to the Catholic church with her Sunday, which made her so happy. Although we didnt end up going because she is not well.... She keeps saying something about her colon and she has a lot of pain. She asked me if I think it’s better for her to go to a real doctor or a natural spiritual one. She is very mindful of spirits. She also told me not to go to the bathroom in the outhouse at night, because the bad spirits will be there and might do something to me. I can’t go out there even if I want to though, they lock the gate at night to get there. So I have to go in Ceci’s room and use her bathroom.... Which I don’t really like because I don’t want to wake her. I can’t imagine what a pest I will be when the diahrrea really sets in. Anyway, I was eating my dinner Friday evening- Beans, Cheese, rice, and tortillas. Ceci gave me a lot in the first place- along with a HUGE glass of the sugariest orange juice i’ve ever had. I was told that if you dont eat all your food here people may be offended and they also don’t like to see it wasted- so I was eatin away and almost done with my dinner when Mirian came over to smile at me and give me a hug and a kiss. She ended up spilling my juice all over my plate... I was happy because I wouldnt have to finish the juice, but low and behold- I received an entire new plate of food to eat. Oh my. At that point i ate what little i could, but i went to bed very full.

For breakfast I’ve been eating things like - Cut up hot dogs, The saltiest eggs I’ve ever tasted in my life, fried bananas, and of course- beans and tortillas. Why do they have to eat SO much food here!? The food isn’t bad- she’s just giving me a bit too much. When I look at everyone else’s plate- mine has more food on it than even the guys. I need to tell her that i want smaller portions.

Oh there’s also a kid here named Oscar- Mirian’s grandson visiting from Virginia. He was born here- and has lived there for the last 4 years. He speaks perfect English. It’s kinda nice to have him around to help me with translation... but that the same time I feel like I’m cheating. He also talks to me in English in front of everyone else and I feel like that’s rude because they can’t understand our conversation- so I try to reply in Spanish.

I slept like a rock on Friday night- my bed is pretty comfy. I didnt need to bring an alarm clock here though- because the roosters are waking me up every morning before it goes off. And then every morning, Elmer is going to the river and bringing water for me to bathe. I feel bad, because I am pretty sure they all just bathe down there in the river... and I don’t like them going out of their way for me to do something different than them. I feel like i am here to learn and live like them. So if they bathe in the river, then I should too. I am having a hard time communicating this to them though. Oh well I’ll keep trying.

I went with Elmer to the nearby town that’s having their fiesta patronal- a huge festival for the patron saint their town is named after. So we grabbed a pick up to go over to Apastepeque. I think he may have thought that my friends would be there- but again- there was something missing in our communication. We just hopped on the pickup, and when we got there, he was just standing. I was like ummmm, let’s walk around. So we would walk to a different area, and just stand there. I guess this is how the fiesta goes. Just stand around and watch. There was a little parade with some dancers dressed like hoochie mamas and a band. It really was a little awkward just being there with him. The people in the pueblos gossip like crazy and they might be saying things if they know I went somewhere with just him. It’s ok, I will keep my distance from now on... We didnt stay long, because- well- there was no reason too.... We bought an “eloteloco” which was corn on the cob with some salsa negra, salsa roja, and cheese on it. It was tasty.... I ate it in the pickup truck on the way home... when it started pouring rain.

Then last night- I went to the pupuseria that my family runs. It’s the restaurant where they sell their pupusas. I got to help make some and I even sold the ones I made! It was cool- also because I got to meet a lot of the people who live in town who were coming in to eat. I met two girls from Houston that sat and chatted with me in English- one is going to U of H. Small world. Well, not really- it’s expected that a lot of people here have tiest to Houston- many of them have tons of family there.

And today I just hung out at the house- spending time with la familia, helped with picking out the rocks from the beans, and played with little Diego. I went to “La Cancha” the soccer field where everyone plays futbol and people watch. It’s a really nice field considering the pueblo. This town is very very old, and it was really affected by the civil war of the 80s. Most people lost family members in the war. Even though this pueblo looks a little run down... I really like it. I truly am lucky to be here.

My friends came over to play uno... which definitely is not as fun as I used to think it was when I was 7 years old. And then- later I ended up playing it again with Oscar, Victor, Ceci, and Joel. We had to play in the dark by candlelight because a storm came in and the power went out while we were eating dinner. They laughed at me with my headlamp that I was wearing... but then they were asking me to borrow it and my other flashlight because they had nothing to see with. Anyway... the Uno game lasted forever.... but it was nice to just sit and spend quality time with the family. If the power was one we probably all would have been watching their big flat screen TV (that has cable, might i add!). I was definitely surprised to see the fancy cable tv... But hey it’s cool- I cant watch some of my favorite MTV shows in English on it!

I’m thinking about buying a fan for my room. It’s pretty humid and uncomfortable I think. And they call this winter!!!! It’s really just the rainy season. I am having to get used to my hair looking horrible.

My family has 5 cows that stay behind barbed wire in the back yard, and there are usually chickens running around. Everyday Elmer and Joel take the cows to the field to eat grass all day. At the end of the day they go get them and bring them back. There are 2 mama cows and 3 babies. THey only use the cows for milk. THey also have a dog they named “Doggy.”

Tomorrow it is my job to shadow Ceci for the entire day... Should be interesting. I will probably help her with all her work for the pupuseria...making food and stuff. I imagine it will be tiring... Hopefully I will have a little bit of free time though to go to the internet cafe and load this to my blog. Then after tomorrow I get to go to the training center in San Vicente and have a full day of training there- I can’t wait to see all my friends from our group!



Ok time to go to sleep. Goodnight.

P.S. I miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment