Monday, September 6, 2010

How much can a girl eat?

Yesterday I visited my Santa Clara family for the first time since I had to leave. It was nice to go back. I called Ceci when I got there to tell her I had arrived in town and I would be at the house in just a minute. Well, I got stopped on the street so much by people who were asking me tons of questions about why we moved, where we moved, how i like it, etc... So it took me much more than 5 minutes to get to the house. It’s pretty awkward how it all went down there.... The people didn’t really get a clear explanation of why we had to go and the fact we left without fulfilling our promises to them really made us and Peace Corps look bad. Anyway, I have no shame going back. I love Santa Clara. I know that I will go back many times over my next two years here. An old lady friend of my Santa Clara family saw me from inside her church as I was walking by... and in the middle of their church service she bursted into smiled and screamed and came running into the street to hug me. It’s things like that that make Santa Clara feel like home. I can’t wait until November when I can go live there for my 2 weeks of training.


Ceci gave me an El Salvador soccer jersey :) She put my name on the back of it followed by Gringa. Haha! If you don’t know Gringo/a is what they call white people in Central and South America. Ceci asked me about putting my name on the back and I came up with the silly idea of adding gringa. It sounded hilarious and awesome at first... But I changed my mind after wearing it on the bus ride home. It made me uncomfortable... Walking around with a word on my back that says “I’m American!” So unfortunately, I won’t be wearing it in public. Maybe I’ll save it for when I’m playing soccer in my community with people who know me well.

While I was at their house, I heard Ceci yell and then little Diego started crying, and I went into the room to see what happened- 2 year old Diego had pulled all of the typing keys off of Ceci’s laptop! She was pissed. I would be too. Especially for her, having a laptop is a big deal. They are even more expensive here than they are in the US. And I’m sure she had saved her money up for that for a long time. Luckily, I was able to get all the keys on and put it back together for her. Phew! Good thing I was there... because she didn’t know how to do it. I was glad I could help her.


Ceci made me hamburgers for lunch... I was so excited about getting a hamburger that when she asked me if I wanted a second one I said yes. OMG... I will never try to eat a second hamburger again. I was so full... I could eat the rest of the day and my host family was concerned about me not eating dinner.. but I could not do it. We went to the baby shower and we all had to go sit at the table to eat. I was told that I had to go, otherwise it would be rude. I didnt have to eat the food, I could just take it to go with me.


This is one thing I miss about the U.S.- You can turn down food at a party and no one is going to care or be deeply offended.


Seriously... I am constantly being given food here. The baby shower was boring, no games, just eating. Then right after the baby shower we went to a birthday party... and guess what. MORE FOOD! Barf. I was there with 2 other gringas and they were really making me look bad. They were eating everything. I didn’t even take a plate at the birthday party. I’m sorry. If I took it, it would’ve just gone to waste. I feel bad because my host mom always appears to be extremely disappointed and concerned when I don’t eat. But ya know- just 2 days ago I spent so much time in the bathroom- it’s not worth it. I know she wants me to eat and like her food- but I think she would prefer that I’m not eating myself sick. My food situation was so much better in Santa Clara. Ceci gave me cereal for breakfast every morning, and food that was more appetizing in general.


My breakfast this morning was, again, fried plantains, fatty refried beans with cream on top, and bread. I hope that I will get my own house so I can cook for myself!


The birthday party was fun. Tons of kids! They were all dancing up a storm in the dark, grey cinderblock cement living room. They love Michael Jackson and the little ones show off their MJ moves- mostly by just grabbing their crotches and wiggling. Haha! There’s this one 7 year old that can dance like a pro... Salsa, Kumbia, Reggaeton... I was learning moves from her. She’s a natural. Then we came home and watched “Bailando por un sueƱo”- I watched because I heard that a Peace Corps volunteer was going to be on the show- dancing for her town to get a bridge. Very cool. And then I let my host brother and sister play with the PhotoBooth on my mac. They took pictures of themselves for hours, and were amazed by seeing themselves on the screen.


Wow my room is a mess, I need to go clean it up some.


Paz y Amor bichos.

No comments:

Post a Comment