Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Some Things Suck

Man- Where to start?

Sometimes there are things about life that just suck.

Where is my sudden pessimism coming from you may wonder? Well I went to the capital for medical and a training with the woman from my town that everyone keeps warning me about- and then I came back to find my 3 month old puppy was dying and Milton was in the hospital in San Salvador because he fell into a tamale pot and got severely burned. The two most joyful things about my site weren't there.

Milton's situation is a tough one to swallow. I love that kid. He is my best and most loyal friend. And as much as I hate to say it- I can't say I was particularly surprised. The way he runs all around the place and out into the streets unsupervised, I kind of knew something would happen to him eventually. But pobrecito, that should not have happened to him. Maybe his mom will start trying to look after him better.

With Terry, my chuchito favorito- I sat there and watched him go. It was upsetting because there was nothing I could do for him. If I was with him back home I would have gotten in a car and taken him to the 24 hour clinic. But that's not the way it is out here. People just view animals and life differently. No need to care for your dog, when it dies you can just get a new one. Marinita said that to me, "Primero Dios we will find another good little puppy for you Amy..." I said "But Marinita- No Quiero otro if it's just going to die a slow and painful death like this one!"

Of course, with the next one I could take it to the vet and make sure it got all of it's vaccines it needed and everything.... [the subject of vaccines/shots brings me to another rant- about how Marinita and Chepito just will inject all living things with whatever all the time. A cow seems sick- they gave it 12 huge full injections of some anti-parasitic stuff... it died the next day. They gave my dog an anti-parasitic shot... died the next day. They aren't doctors... you can't just guess what the animal needs and just pump whatever inside of them. Marinita is always getting her neighbor to inject her with stuff for her "gripe" which is supposed to be like the flu or a cold- but with her it's got to be something else- probably from inhaling smoke over the comal while she cooks 3 times a day. It just irritates me to see these people who are clearly uneducated about medicine making the choices that seem to be soooo wrong] But anyway- if I gave my pup vaccinations and vet care then it really would be MY dog and I will be too scared to leave him with Marinita and Chepito that will feed him all kinds of things that will make him sick. Maybe this "you can just get another one" attitude is the same manner of thought Milton's mom has about her kids- "eh, let em run wild and fall into the tamale pot... I have 8 other kids and can always have another..."

Man... sometimes it is so evident how different the people are here.... Of course, not all mothers here are so careless with their children. I know tons of great parents down here that have great kids!

So sorry for the pessimism. It's bound to come out from time to time. And it goes to show how extreme the ups and downs of Peace Corps can really be. Last night I came walking into my house sobbing for Milton and for my dog.... Tonight I came home after a long day of going on an excursion with the 9th graders to find myself feeling extremely happy! All it took was one check of my email to get wonderful news about something that will help me immensely with my work here. Thank you Carol and Jim!

And so it goes... There will always be the sucky things.... But they make you appreciate the good things so much more. At least we can hope...

Paz y Amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment