Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Eggcellent!

The internet is too good on my new computer... I can't get myself away from it. Well... I did get myself away from it to wash my clothes all morning. I am going to have to start limiting myself to only using it for a few hours a day. Like a few hours at night to keep me company. It's great company. Ok so after today... I will cut back. Today has been kinda productive with all the lavar-ing of the ropa. It took me 3 hours... 2 big blankets, towels, sheets, and clothes. Oy vey. It's bueno para el cuerpo I will tell you that. I have actually started to kind of enjoy washing my clothes on the rock. I listen to my ipod and sing while I scrub away. Music makes everything better.

And this afternoon I have a meeting with a few community leaders about getting my youth group started. The more I think about starting a dance group the more weary I am of doing it. I feel like I should start first with something I know I will be successful with. Por ejemplo, art. I can do art classes. These kids have never learned any creative expression beyond a paper and pencil really. And I'm kinda artsy fartsy when it comes to painting and coloring and making arts and crafts. The only question is where will the money come from for supplies? Well... as a matter of fact yesterday I wrote up and turned in my very first grant proposal! I asked for close to $500 to help pay for youth group activities. We are also talking about getting a theatre group started. Lo mas importante is that we get these kids doing something productive and meaningful in their free time. They have nothing to do. And therefore little to no self-confidence that they are capable of doing anything. So... here's hopin'. Wish me luck.

I am really settling in quite well to this country. I feel comfortable. No more awkward. I can understand people when they talk to me with little confusion, even with their thick campo accents. And there are endless possibilities for good. Yesterday I posted a quote on my facebook, "The amount of happiness you have depends on the amount of  freedom you have in your heart." For me this is so true. I could go in depth explaining exactly why this is so true for me, but I think you all can figure it out. No need to get tooooo cheezy.

Yesterday I was doing some house visits... There's this one house that I like to visit that has 3 crazy sisters. They are just so quirky. And they LOVE me. I exchanged bracelets with 12 year old Yulisa. She is one of the ones begging me to start a dance group. I gave her my bracelet I bought at super selectos last weekend that says "No Hay Imposibles" and she gave me two pretty little beaded bracelets. Her aunt Jilda is nuts, and has this huge big blue eyes and gold rims around all her teeth. She touched my legs and was genuinely shocked to find that I shave my legs. To Campo Salvo women that is unheard of. You should have seen her face. It was pure disgust. But sorry- I'm not going to go that far with my integration to grow things out. That family is too much fun, those women just have a lot more personality than your typical woman around here. They live next to the slaughterhouse though where the bolo (drunk) family lives.

I haven't gone running in the cancha since before PST2. I keep telling myself, tomorrow. I was so into it before training... Can't wait to get it back. Tomorrow will be the day. I just need to let my lady friends know, they are the reason I was getting myself out of bed to get started before.

In other news, Ladies and Gentleman, I have finally- after 24 years- learned how to properly crack and egg! This is wonderful. My whole life i was splitting in on the edges of bowls, usually getting lots of shell in the mix and raw egg everywhere. Well... did you know you only need to tap it on a flat surface? it's a clean break... no more shell pieces. It's the simple things.

Paz y Amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment