Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The time has come!!!

Oh yes, the time has come, my friends.

Tomorrow at this time I will be on an airplane on its way to my beloved Texas. Excited. Happy to be on vacation. And for some reason, I am feeling a little bit nervous. I am realizing today, how I have gotten so used to living in El Salvador. Over 7 months I have been here... and that is the longest I have ever spent outside of my country, away from my family and friends. So it is occuring to me now, that fact. It is a good nervous. And maybe it's just excitement. I just don't know what it's going to feel like. And well... I guess tomorrow I will find out. I can't imagine it being anything but nice. Yesterday I was telling my friend Hollie that I think a lot of PCVs get over dramatic about going back to the states... they all say that their trips home fuck with their heads. I was saying it doesn't have to be that big of a deal. That I know my home and how it is, and I know El Salvador... why should going there and back be such a big deal? Maybe I was wrong for saying that.... because today I feel strange about it. I do. We'll see if I'm really sticking my foot in my mouth when I get back after it all.

Before leaving my site I was making my rounds to the houses, doing my despedidas, saying my goodbyes. Every house I went to, the people said one of two things- Lleveme en su maleta! Take me with you in your suitcase! or Me trae un recuerdo! Bring me a present! The suit case one ok that's fine, we could laugh about that one... but i'm sorry- I'm not going to spend my time and money on bringing all of San Jacinto gifts from the oosa! Oosa... that's USA. Besides, what does that make me look like? Santa Claus? If I come back and give everyone presents. I am not even bringing my family and friends back home in Houston gifts from El Salvador. No body needs anything. And with my meager Peace Corps allowance- I can't be loading up on gifts for people all the time. Sorry. My friends and loved ones know I love them anyway... I don't have to buy them crap they don't need to show it.

I spent this last weekend before my vacation in my site... reluctantly, because there were all kinds of events, parties and trips I could have participated in with gringos. But I stayed... I figured I have the rest of my life to hang out with gringos. It was good that I spent the extra time with my community and salvos before leaving. Saturday I went to a wedding of a friend of mine from my training community. Last week her boyfriend showed up from Canada, where he has been living and working for a couple years now. He asked her hand in marriage and they planned a last minute wedding. So there I was. It was my first real Salvadoran wedding. And I was not impressed with this one. I mean, it was planned just a week before... so naturally they didn't have time to plan anything extravagant... especially as poor as they are. But there was no dancing. No drinking. Just sitting at picnic tables and eating. And the ceremony itself was surprising to me... even the bride and groom and entire wedding party were sitting at a table while they were wed. They stood up to put rings on and kiss at least. Anyway, I'm glad I was there for my friend Conny. She's a pretty girl, and really special... she's smart and educated and could really go places. Her husband is going back to Canada in a few weeks. Hopefully she can go join him up there when she gets her visa stuff all worked out.

Then Sunday, I went on an excursion with my youth group, paid for by the money we raised from selling pupusas. It was allright... They were really excited about it and had fun. That's what matters. We went to some pools near San Vicente, that I have been hearing about ever since I got here. Well? They were kinda gross. I was reluctant to get in... Just looking at them I knew how dirty the water was. I imagined myself getting some kind of skin disease or something after getting in. But I had to swim. I was there with the group... and they would have said that I didnt want to hang out with them or I didn't like them or something. So, I decided to suck it up and get in and have a good time with the jovenes. I swear I could smell the urine in the water. I was never so happy to bucket bath in my life when I got home that night.
There certainly was drama throughout the day of the excursion though. First, there was 18 year old Mela. I had been previously told she has a reputation for liking the boys and having a lot of them. Known as a slut, basically. Well I saw that it was true that day. We were hanging out by the most pishy of pools sitting on the side of it when she started freaking out because there were some boys there that know her boyfriend and she didn't tell her boyfriend she was there that day and he would get really jealous if he found out... I didn't really get it... but it turns out one of those boys there was her boyfriend from San Vicente. She has boyfriends all over apparently. Hmmm... I don't know what to think about that. In a way, I'm proud of her... turning the tables... the salvadoran men are all players and have many women and no one says anything... and maybe it's not really like people say it is. Maybe she just has a lot of guys that are friends. People in the campo talk to much and think bad of everyone. Chambre we call it. Gossip. And it ain't nobody's friend.

But for more drama that day I found out that one of my 14 year old girls in the group, Ivania, who just graduated from cosmetology school was on her way to drink a beer with 19 year old Cesar at the pool. And I was like Helllllllll No! As chaperone of the group I felt obligated to do something about this. I was even more upset when I found out that she is a few months pregnant. Oy. So sad. And what also bothered me was that the other adults on the excursion with me did not feel inclined to do anything about the fact that a 14 year old was drinking. That is not legal in this country... but they will still sell it to the minor, and no one will say anything. It's strange to me how many adults are not authoratative with the youth. No wonder these kids are so at-risk... Why are adults not taking more responsibility for their children? and even other people's children? I saw this girl drinking and I went after her to tell her it was unacceptable and could not happen... The other adults told me not to. That I couldn't do anything about it and she was just going to do it anyway... Ummmm hello? this is the problem.

Yes, I am ready for my vacation :) I have been sweating constantly for the last months... it's been so hot that I haven't been able to fall asleep at night. And I developed this really strange rash all over my hands, and after showing it to my peace corps doctor I'm still not really sure about what it is. Luckily I got some $20 bottle of magic cream that is making it go away. But I lived with what looked like chicken pox all over my hands for a week before I could get to the doctor. I hope it doesn't come back when i get back to my site after vacation.

Oh yes. I am going to enjoy this time. It will be a lovely two weeks stomping around my old grounds! I hope to get the gym a lot.... oh how I miss my aerobics and spin classes! Hopefully I can get a lot of workouts in because I sure and going to be eating a lot! hehe... Can't wait to see everyone! Lots of love!

Paz y amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment