Thursday, February 24, 2011

America the Beautiful

"Vive en Los Estados Unidos o esta visitando?" asked the flight attendant.

Me: I look at her with big eyes and confusion, tilting my head. So she asks me in English

"Do you live in the United States or are you just visiting?"

Me: Still looking at her with the same face and confusion. I don't know why it was so hard for me to answer that question! I mean, I am only visiting the United States for a few weeks and then I'm going back to El Salvador.

"MA'AM!!! It's a simple question! YES or NO?" the flight attendant said rudely. And what you asked me cranky flight attendant lady was NOT a yes or no question.

I had chatted with the woman next to me briefly before the grinch came over with the customs papers... And she intervened and told the flight attendant that I indeed am a U.S. resident.

"YES!" barked the grinch, and threw the paper in my lap.

I just thought it was pretty hilarious that I couldn't answer the question myself. An example of how trippy it is to make a visit home while in the Peace Corps. But that was one of the grumpiest flight attendants I have ever encountered. I mean, your job really isn't that bad, is it lady? All you have to do is pour drinks in clear plastic cups and pass out snacks. She later zoomed down the aisle with her drink cart and rammed it right into my funny bone because my elbow was sticking out in the aisle a bit. Jeez lady.

We landed on the ground, they said on the speakers "Welcome to Houston..."
"WOOHOO!!!" I shouted.

Walking around the airport. Am I really in the OOSA? I get to customs. "Welcome to the United States of America" repeated a recording over the loud speakers. I AM in the OOSA! I thought, beaming.

I made it out to the area where people wait to pick up travelers. I had a guy waiting there for me with my name printed on a piece of paper he held. I bought a Starbucks- Double Tall Skinny Vanilla Latte. He took me out to the Lincoln Town Car.... I was taken to my brothers hotel... sitting in this smooth ride with luxurious leather seats with a bottle of Diet Coke and Fiji Water sitting in cupholders in the armrest. Where am I? I certainly rolled in to the city in style. A huge contrast with the rattly old taxis I've been toted around in in San Salvador.

And I made it to my brother's hotel where he is the general manager... where he gifted me a real copy of the United States of America's Declaration of Independence. How random... LoL turns out it was just something he found was laying around in his desk. But I happily accepted it.... and all things American.

Unforunately, I have a cold, I've been sneezing and feeling yucky since yesterday morning :( Hopefully it doesn't last long. I plan to enjoy my time here to the fullest.

America. It's a great country!

No comments:

Post a Comment