Saturday, June 19, 2010

Getting ready

I woke up at 7:00 am this morning to go to the infamous REI garage sale that starts at 9. People start lining up for it way early though because everyone wants to be the in first to get the good buys. They have it in their warehouse in the back of the store, and they sell all of the used and returned good that had some minor defect so they cant get it back on the shelf. People are crazy about this REI garage sale because you can get something for 40 bucks that normally costs $150... stuff like that. When I showed up this morning at 7:30 I was shocked to see that some people had tents set up right outside the door.... they actually slept there last night so they could be the first ones in. Soooo I went because there are a lot of items I would like to have before I go to the Peace Corps- a good backpack, a sleepingbag, flashlights, etc. I was waiting for this garage sale to purchase these things hoping I'd find them at a bargain. I got my ass out of bed with only 5 hours of sleep and a mild hangover to go to this. And when I finally got in.... I saw nothing for me :( I did find a backpack- but after trying it on I realized it was meant for a man and it didnt fit me right. ended up buying all brand new stuff. I'd rather pay full price for something that fits me comfortably then save $100 on a bag that hurts my shoulders. So yea. Done deal.

I got a Gregory 60 liter backpack, love it! A headlamp, travel towels, a nalgene bottle, and a swiss army knife. :)

Then Dad went with me to help me pick out a suitcase. I think I got the best thing for El Salvador. It's a Samsonite hard case- big and black and looks like its kind of made of plastic- but it might be something else. I figure that with all the humidity and the possibility of fabrics mildewing down there.... a plastic one was the way to go! I am very happy with my purchase.

I'm starting to wonder how I am going to fit everything I want to bring in the suitcase and the gregory bag. I know I could easily overpack and bring WAY more than I need.... but i'm only allowed 80 lbs. The hardest decision for packing will be what shoes to bring. I want to bring all the ones I might want to wear.... especially because a woman's size 10 shoe is pretty much unheard of in El Salvador, I'm told. But I guess I can ask for them to be sent to me later.

I am very happy I am working next week to help make up for the expensive purchases I've made this week.... and also because I need something to keep my mind off of everything. I am going to be leaving exactly one month from today. Wow. Really? Wow.

And then once the journey finally begins I will have much more interesting material for these blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment