Monday, August 16, 2010

Confession

Ok I have to admit it- I'm starting to grow a little tired of this no running water thing. It's usually not too much of a pain.... it's not taking the bucket baths themselves that is getting old. They really arent bad. It's just making sure that I actually have the water to be able to do so is what's starting to wear on me. I want to shower in the morning. But there is no water in the bucket for me to use. I have to take the water out of the pila and bring it in there. Those big jugs get really heavy when they are full. I don't know how these women carry them on their heads with no hands.
For a while I was bathing with the water brought from the river, if I wasn't bathing in the river itself. But since we finally had running water for one day last week, we were able to fill up our pilas (water reserves that are basically huge concrete tubs) with water from the faucet. I'm trying not to think about how gross and dirty the water is that has been sitting there for a week... that has mosquito larvae swimming in it... I'm always worried that i accidentally got some contaminated water in my mouth when I pour the bucket over my head. But... knock on wood.... luckily i haven't gotten really sick yet since i've been here. I'm wondering when it's my turn. The other trainees around me seem to be dropping... one goes, then another.... One of the guys in my group was vomiting all day on Sunday and had to go to the hospital in the capital. They found that he had some kind of crazy amoebas hatching in his stomach. Yuck! How awful! But despite how disgusting and uncomfortable that sounds.... he recommended that we all get sick because apparently the hospital is really fancy and nice. He's enjoying his stay there with AC and other amenities. Haha. I would rather not get sick! But it's good to know they take us to a nice hospital that is well equipped.

OK going to bed. Tomorrow is another day at the training center... And I will get to find out where in the country I'll be going for my 4 immersion days! EEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment