Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Magic Sock, Cow Patties, and More

Monday 8-2

I went to hang out at my friend Jamie’s house who lives in a nearby town yesterday. It was great getting out of my pueblo and being able to hang out with others, see their town, and use Jamie’s wifi she has at her house. When i came back though I started feeling like I was coming down with a bit of a cold. So many people have been sick around here, I knew I was bound to pick something up eventually. So even though there was a fiesta in the park that all my friends were at, I didnt feel like going. Especially because I didnt want to stand out there in the rain. It’s ok because they have fiestas here for the next couple weeks. They bring in good bands and have carnival rides (that look 100 years old and way too sketchy for me to ever want to try) and they will have dances and stuff. My training schedule doesn’t fit well with parties, but I think I can always find a way to get some fun in.

Here are some random things I have observed since I have arrived:

They like to walk around with cloths on their head when they have a headache or are sick. It kind of reminds me when I was a kid and my feet would hurt from “growing pains” and my parents would give me the “magic sock” that would take the pain away. I think their head rags are kind of like that.

Even though my host family themselves don’t eat that much, they give me 3 or 4 times the amount they can eat. I know that people love you with their food here. But it’s funny....After several conversations of trying to explain that I only want to eat a little like they do, I am now getting much more reasonable portions. I am pretty sure my fruits and vegetables are not cleaned properly. But I just try not to think about it. So far I haven’t had anything too bad happen to me. Hopefully this cold I have will only get better.

People all over this town own cows. And they walk the cows down the pueblo streets every day to take them to the fields to eat grass. The cows poop all over the streets, and unless the rain comes and washes it away, the cow patties are to stay. So you really have to watch your step. I’m a germophobe somewhat so I always take my shoes off when I get to the house because I don’t want to bring in a trail of cow dung. But the rest of family doesnt, and they usually insist I keep my shoes on. It’s ok, they wash their floors often. I saw a little girl step on one of the cow patties yesterday and fell down only to be completely covered in poo. I couldn´t help but laugh.... But I felt bad because she looked like she wanted to cry.

Instead of taking buses to the city from the pueblo, we take the pickup trucks. I think I have mentioned this before. I think it’s the kind of thing you would have to see to really understand. It’s amazing how they can fit over 40 people into the back of one pick up, standing their, packed in like sardines. Everytime I’m on one I can hear the engine of the truck roaring in ways that can’t be good and I imagine the weight of all the people it’s carrying will make it break down. Or the tires will burst. And then what? Well I guess it wouldn’t be bad. Another pick up would pass by and we’d hop on that one.

Every single family I have met here is separated and has some family that moved to the states. I find it sad that many parents leave their own children behind to go to the states to work. I wonder, how can you do that? Leave your child? How sad and difficult that must be. For example, Oscar: 12 year old grandson of my host mom is visiting from Virginia. But he hasn’t always lived there. When he was 1 year old his parents left him behind with his grandma to go to the U.S. They were able to get visas, unlike most of the people that go “mojado” (or “wet”). So they went and worked and sent lots of money back home, and finally when Oscar was 8 he got his visa and he was able to go join his parents. At that point, they weren’t even his parents to him... they were strangers. He still says today that he feels like his parents are more like siblings and his real parents are his family here in El Salvador.

I can’t help but wonder- Is it worth it? Being separated from your family so that you are able to have more money to buy stuff? Here they have built a brand new house, only two years old, that includes a flat screen TV with cable television, nice tile floors, decent furniture, comfy beds, etc. All paid for by the remesas, or money, they receive from family in Virginia. Well, I’m assuming. Because I see what my family does to make their money. They work their asses off all day to sell tostadas in the street (only 25 cents per bag) every afternoon, and then pupusas (only 35 cents each) at night. Maybe the family brings in about $20 a day... And they work every day, never a day without rest. So clearly they get money from the US like most everyone else here. There is no way they could have this nice house and pay for the electricty and things they have here if they didnt. So ok.... maybe it is worth it for families to be divided. I can’t say that’s what I would ever want for my family. There is always some member of a family that makes a sacrifice to be able to provide for their loved ones. And migration is nothing new to mankind that’s for sure. Still, idealistically- I wish the Salvadorians would stay and educate themselves and try to work to make their country better. There may not be many opportunities for work here right now... but there never will be if everyone keeps leaving. One of the reasons I am here is to help improve the quality of life for Salvadorian youth. Unfortunately, many people I have talked to have mentioned how the youth lack motivation and values. This is because many of them are abandoned by their parents and left with other family members that don’t really have the time to raise them and teach them values and morals. And the kids are all just receiving tons of money from their parents in the U.S. so their is no reason for them to feel like they have to go to school or work hard. Things are just so broken here. I am excited to work with the youth, and I am aware of the challenges that I will face. Huge challenges.

This morning my host sister was telling me that she applied for a visa 3 times and was denied. She wants to go to the U.S.... and she is thinking she might just go “mojado.” That sounds very scary to me. What a loss for this country is a great person like her leaves.

Anyway, that’s enough for tonight. More observations to come.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your insights. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete